Where does one start when it comes to cheese? With countless options for preparing and serving the extensive types of cheese offered at varying levels in maturity and style, it’s almost impossible to pinpoint my absolute favourite! Rather than fry my brain trying to make a decision, I thought I was best to go with the easy option – cheesecake.
A few years ago I picked up this great little book called Nibbles, which contains recipes for sweet and savoury ‘finger foods’ that are ideal for serving at parties and other special occasions. To this day, I don’t think I’ve tried any other recipe apart from the one I’m about to share with you, but I have already gotten my money’s worth on this one alone. It’s a keeper, for sure!
Not only are these mini cheesecakes delicious (and the perfect size for entertaining a small crowd), they are extremely easy to prepare. Also, unlike full-size cheesecakes, you only need one packet of cream cheese…bonus!
(from Nibbles: 100 sweet and savoury finger foods by Hardie Grant Books.)
Note: I’ve omitted the blueberry sauce portion of the recipe you’ll find in the book – I believe the cheesecakes work just as well without it.
- 90g gingersnap biscuits*
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ C caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ TBS plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150g (1 Cup) fresh blueberries**
* I use Butternut Snap biscuits – not sure if that’s a fair substitute, but it works for me
** Frozen is fine if – like me – you freeze punnets of fresh berries as soon as you buy them (they’re never on special when you need them!) I can’t vouch for the success (or otherwise) of pre-packed frozen berries, though.
I’ve made these little gems enough times to feel confident enough to try slight variations on the recipe, including:
- adding passionfruit syrup to the mixture and omitting the blueberries; or
- adding crushed strawberries to the mix, replacing the blueberries with fresh strawberries and drizzling white chocolate over the cooled cheesecakes.
Thanks again to B.TX for setting up this challenge! Please join in and support this wonderful weekly event! I look forward to seeing your cheese-a-licious recipes!